- There are no internship openings at this time
The North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority (NJTPA) and county/city level transportation planning departments throughout northern and central New Jersey have available paid internship positions throughout the year, including summer months.
The NJTPA is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization for the 13 county northern and central NJ region. A 50-person staff located in Newark, works together with staff in 13 county member agencies and in two cities (Newark and Jersey) to plan how over $2 billion in federal transportation funding is invested each year.
Among other activities, the NJTPA and its member agencies: undertake studies of regional transportation needs; conduct computer modeling of transportation and air quality impacts; compile and analyze data related to transportation; use Graphic Information Systems; consult with and advise elected officials on transportation matters; and develop written transportation plans and budgets to guide investments (further details at www.njtpa.org).
The internship program is open to undergraduate and graduate students with an interest in gaining hands-on experience in the fields of urban planning, transportation, engineering, environmental science and related disciplines. Knowledge and experience is desirable.
These internships will offer opportunities to:
- Develop skills using databases, spreadsheets, and mapping software
- Develop research and analytical skills
- Produce graphic representation of complex information for technical and general audiences;
- Develop writing and communications skills;
- Build teamwork skills and collaboration skills;
- Gain exposure to and contacts within the transportation planning field in NJ
Develop organizational skills and experience