Summary of Subregional Studies: Fiscal Year 2010-2011
(Hard copies available on request)
Full final reports below.
Subregional Study Program provides two-year grants on a competitive basis to the 13 counties and two cities represented on the NJTPA Board.
The program is designed to help counties and cities develop transportation improvement strategies rooted in the NJTPA’s Regional Transportation Plan. Ultimately, the program aims to generate project concepts ready for further development or implementation consistent with regional planning goals.
New Projects - FY2012-2013: Subregional Studies
The following are some of the studies that will be paid for by through NJTPA grants and a 20 percent local match. Studies will begin July 1, 2011. Further details of these studies can be found in the Unified Planning Work Program, Volume III (PDF file).
- Bergen County: River Road/Hudson Waterfront Corridor Strategy, A Phase 2 Study. $460,000. Will develop concepts for improvements to mobility, accessibility, safety and quality-of-life along the River Road Corridor in Edgewater and Fort Lee, Bergen County, building upon a previous subregional study.
- Essex County Comprehensive Transportation Plan, $350,000. The first update to the county’s transportation plan since 1984.
- Hudson County/Jersey City: Jersey City/Journal Square/Bayonne BRT Study, $250,000. Will study the feasibility of bus rapid transit (BRT) service in Bayonne and Jersey City using existing rights-of-way.
- Jersey City: Liberty State Park Circulator Cost-Benefit Analysis, $220,000. Will analyze a range of options for mass transit service to serve destinations in Liberty State Park and nearby residential developments and businesses in Jersey City.
- Jersey City: Morris Canal Greenway Plan, $220,000. Will prepare a plan for a bicycle and pedestrian path in Jersey City along the former Morris Canal route.
- Middlesex County: Update of the Transportation Plan Element of the Middlesex County Comprehensive Master Plan, $100,000. The first update of the plan since 1999.
- Morris County: Route 124 Corridor Transit Access Improvement Study, $375,000. Will study options for improving transit access to the Convent, Madison and Chatham rail stations in Morris County.
- Passaic County: Heritage Tourism Plan, $200,000. Circulation and wayfinding plan for Passaic County’s historic and scenic byways identified in the Passaic County Master Plan Transportation Element Update, Moving Passaic County.
- Somerset County: Using Access and Mobility Improvements to Support Redevelopment Opportunities in Somerset County, $300,000. Analysis of transportation services needed to accommodate and spur redevelopment
FY 2011-2012 Subregional Studies
Warren County Morris Canal 25-Year Action Plan Final Report (PDF 13 MB)
- Appendix A - Maps and Appendices (PDF 196 MB)
- Appendix B - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection-Historic Preservation Office of New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places (PDF 70 KB)
- Appendix C - Meeting Minutes and List of Attendees (PDF 2 MB)
- Appendix D - Volunteer Group Promotional
Material and Information Examples (872 KB)
- Appendix E - Recommendations from the
Master Plans for Lock 7 West and Plane 9 West (197 KB)
- Appendix F - Complete List of
Opportunities and Constraints (188 KB)
- Appendix G - Model Ordinance (39 KB)
- Appendix H - Morris Canal Survey Index (67 KB)
- Appendix I - Land Owner Survey Results (93 KB)
- Appendix J - Rail-Trails and Liability (606 KB)
- Appendix K - Recommendations Master Matrix (316 KB)
- Appendix L - Additional Canal Related Sources (65 KB)
- Maps (PDF 44 MB)
FY 2010-2011 Subregional Studies
The following are final reports for FY 2010-2011 funded studies. A summary publication highlighting the studies is also available (pdf):
- Hudson County/Jersey City: Jersey City/Hoboken Connectivity Study - $300,000 (Final Report, PDF 9 MB)
- Middlesex County: Route 9 Corridor Transit Linkages Study - $100,000 - (Final Report, PDF 32 KB) Appendices (19 MB)
- Monmouth County Transportation Audit and Sustainable Transportation Plan - $200,000 (Final Report, PDF 4 MB)
- Appendix A - A review of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory Protocols (PDF 49 KB)
- Appendix B - Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory Protocols (PDF 937 KB)
- Appendix C - Monmouth County Employee Methodology (PDF 30 KB)
- Appendix D - Monmouth County Employee Greenhouse Gas Reduction Strategies (PDF98 KB)
- Appendix E - Road-Based Greenhouse Gas Metholology (PDF 535 KB)
- Morris County: Freight Infrastructure and Land Use Analysis - $300,000
(Final Report, 56 MB)
- Newark Master Plan: Mobility Element - $300,000 (Final Report, 10 MB)
FY 2008-2009 Subregional Studies
Summary of Subregional Studies FY 2008-2009
For FY 2008-2009, $2.4 million was allocated to the 12 studies listed below.
- Bergen and Hudson Counties: The River Road - Hudson Waterfront Circulation Study/The Hudson River – Palisades Corridor Circulation Study - $355,180 (PDF 25.3 MB)
- City of Jersey City: Master Plan Circulation Element Update - $220,000 (PDF 55.4 MB)
- Middlesex County : Southern Middlesex County Transit Needs - $ 90,000 (PDF 20.9 MB)
- Monmouth County Coastal Evacuation Routes Improvement Study - $220,000 (PDF 35.5 MB)
- Morris County: Transportation Model Development Completion - $216,000 (PDF 665 KB)
- City of Newark: Right of Way Management, Assessment and Priority System - $225,000 (PDF 2.12 MB)
- Passaic County: NYS&W/Madison Ave Corridor Study: Linking Urban Redevelopment and Transportation Investment in Passaic County - $220,000 - (PDF 22.4 MB)
- Somerset County Regional Center Pedestrian, Bicycle, & Greenway Systems Connection Plan - $220,000 (PDF 118 MB)
- Somerset and Hunterdon Counties : Route 202 Corridor Assessment & Multi-Modal Mobility Plan - $220,000 (PDF 63 MB)
- Union County: Route 27 Corridor Safety Study - $220,000 (PDF 21 MB)
- Warren County: Route 22 Corridor Study - $220,000 (PDF 30.6 MB)
FY 2006-2007 Subregional Studies
The following are the completed studies for which $2.3 million was allocated during Fiscal Years 2006 and 2007. This link provides access to a report containing an introduction, index, and abstracts of these studies (pdf file link here).
- Bergen County: Designing for Access and Mobility at Candidate Locations Along The Kinderkamack Road/Pascack Valley Intermodal Corridor - $130,000
- Hudson County/Jersey City: Hudson County Regional Bus Circulation and Infrastructure Study - $200,000
- Jersey City Waterfront Access and Circulation Study - $220,000
- Middlesex County: Route 18 Corridor Pedestrian Safety and Transit Enhancement in Old Bridge, New Park and Ride, and Commuter Shuttle Service - $80,000
- Monmouth County: State Route 79 Corridor Study - $225,500
- Morris County: Safe Routes to School Study and Pilot Program - $181,250
- Passaic County: Development of Comprehensive Community Transportation Plan - $125,000
- Passaic County: “Great Falls”/ Paterson Hamburg Turnpike Corridor Improvement Plan - $223,500
- Somerset County: West Trenton Line Station Area Design Study - $145,000
- Somerset County: Advancing Intermodal Freight Opportunities Within Central Somerset County – $189,000
- Union County: Countywide Comprehensive Bicycle Master Plan - $150,000
- Union County: Freight Access Study Between Port Elizabeth and Tremley Point - $250,000
Past Completed Studies
Subregional Studies Program FY 2004-2005 -
Completed Studies - This link provides access to abstracts of these studies.
FY 1999-2003 Subregional Supportive Tasks and Technical Studies - Completed Studies- This link provides access to a list of planning studies funded by the NJTPA during FY 1999-2003 and to a report providing abstracts of these studies.