Proposals are being accepted for the FY 2023 Together North Jersey
(TNJ) Vibrant Places Program
, funded by the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority
The program offers technical support for creative placemaking projects that enable future place-based investments, complementing other local economic development initiatives.
Eligible applicants include municipal and county governments, nonprofit, community-based or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in the NJTPA's 13-county region. Special consideration will be given to collaborations between municipalities, counties, and NGOs.
Examples of previous projects that received technical assistance include:
- Five sites along the Morris Canal Greenway in Passaic County identified as pilot locations for a public art engagement plan, with a goal of creating replicable templates for other sites along the Greenway.
- The Town of Dover created a Downtown Dover Visitor’s Guide along with economic revitalization strategies for the downtown area of the Morris County town.
- The Borough of Bound Brook created a new visual identity that was incorporated into wayfinding signage and other visual media. The Somerset County borough also conducted public engagement and field visits to better understand the history and character of destinations that could be incorporated into a wayfinding system.
- Custom logo designs were developed for the Middlesex Greenway, along with a short video highlighting the need for improved signage along the greenway and examples of signage used in other greenways and parks around the state.
- The Urban Essex Coalition designed a temporary creative lighting display along NJTRANSIT rail viaduct underpasses along the Morris & Essex rail line, laying the groundwork for creative placemaking efforts along stations throughout the corridor.
Up to four projects will be selected for technical assistance services in the form of staff time from The Voorhees Transportation Center
(VTC) at Rutgers University and other experts. Projects should be small in scale and must be completed within three to five months and no later than May 31, 2023.
Evaluation criteria and detailed application instructions can be found on the Vibrant Places Program
webpage. The deadline to submit proposals is September 15
with notice of decisions in October. Projects are anticipated to begin in late 2022.
For more information, contact Miriam Salerno at [email protected]